Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Thrills, Chills and Romance

Thrills, Chills and Romance

This blog entry by Nancy Holzner, I found on a twitter post Retweet by Nancy Holzner.

On a #scifichat on twitter I got into convo about "what is genre" (which I think is changing) so this is relevant to a blog I have to write on genre definitions (thought I was done with that, but there's more to say).

So on http://aliendjinnromances.blogspot.com I'll probably discuss this post. Meanwhile read it, read Holzner's novels (good reads all) and really think about what's actually happening here.

I suspect those discussing "genre" are not exactly phrasing the questions in a way that can produce answers that writers (inside the writer's own mind) can use to sort their creative material into forms that fit marketing channels.

So at some time soon, I'll have to revisit the "what is science fiction" topic which we all thought was totally finished decades ago.

Science Fiction is "what I like to read" -- and that is the only definition SF fans ever agreed on!

But that's not a definition writers, editors, publishers or producers can use to generate what you like.

If you're trying to write a commercially existing genre, or trying to invent a totally new one -- and be a "market maker" -- some original thinking is in order for 2011.

Jacqueline Lichtenberg

No comments: